Acquaint yourself with Northern Thailand and Relax
Centuries old handicrafts are on the itinerary next. As we begin our drive in the beautiful countryside you will vist some rarely seen places in Si Satchanalai before arriving in Lampang in time for dinner.
Dinner is on your own tonight in Lampang. You will visit many local highlights around Lampang before we drive to Chiang Mai the next day. Lampang is older than Chiang Mai and it became known as “Horse Carriage City" because of the use of horse-drawn carriages. During British colonial days in Burma, Lampang was the centre of the teak industry and an influx of migrants from British-controlled Burma migrated and built many colonial houses. The city is charming with many magnificent temples and colonial style houses.
Check out the itinerary.
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
Your guide will meet you at the hotel or, in case you arrive on the morning flight from Bangkok, at the Sukhotai Airport. Start your visit of Sukhotai Historical Park. Together with Kamphaeng Phet and Sri Satchanalai, Sukhotai constitutes a UNESCO World Heritage site. In 1238, Sukhothai became the first truly independent Thai kingdom. Historical artifacts have shown that Thai culture originated in Sukhothai, in particular the Thai language and alphabet. You will start your visit at the Ramkamhaeng Museum. After this you visit the adjacent Wat Mahathat by foot. You will tour the historical park either by car or bicycle. You will visit Wat Chang Lom, Wat Phra Phai Luang and Wat Si Chum amongst others. We will have a light lunch at one of our favorite restaurants. After lunch we will continue our trip to Sri Satchanalai. We follow a lovely rural road until we reach the ruins of Sri Satchanalai. Here we will visit Wat Chedi Chet Thaew and Wat Chang Lom, two of the most interesting sites. Next stop is Celadon Kiln Site Study and Conservation Centre which contains a display of kilns, artifacts and excavated ceramics. Si Satchanalai, or Sawankhalok, was an important producer of glazed ceramics called Sangkhalok wares which were exported throughout Asian countries. After this we will drive to our final destination of today, Lampang. Overnight at the Riverside Guesthouse – aircon room. On your own for dinner in Lampang
After breakfast we will make a horse cart ride through the streets of Lampang. We will visit the Burmese monastery Wat Si Rong Muang, Wat Prakaeo Don Tao as well as Ban Sao Nak, a unique historic teakwooden house. Then it is time to depart. We will drive back to Chiang Mai. First stop will be the Thung Kwiean market. Next will be Lampang Elephant Conservation Centre. Here you will watch how elephants once were used in the teak logging industry. Lunch will be at the Elephant Conservation Centre. An optional elephant ride is available (not included). Before driving back to Chiang Mai we will also visit the hospital of the Friends of the Asian Elephant Foundation. This hospital is located next to the Elephant Conservation Centre. Watch a short but very moving video about Motala, the elephant that lost a leg when it stepped on a landmine. The foundation welcomes donations. After this we will drive back to Chiang Mai. We will make a stop at Wat Pra That Haripunchai, Lamphun’s most famous temple. Continue to Chiang Mai where we will arrive about 5-6 PM.
Good to Know
About this Tour
- Private Tour, not join in Basis.
- Duration of this Tour: 2 Day/1 night
- Departure Time: early morning, at your convenience
- End Time: 7 - 8 pm
- Difficulty Level: super easy!
- Transportation: private AC SUV
- Accommodation: Riverside Guesthouse – Aircon room
Where to Meet:
Your guide will meet you at the hotel or, in case you arrive on the morning flight from Bangkok, at the Sukhothai Airport.
What You Should Bring:
- Walking shoes
- Sun cream
- Sun glasses
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price in USD, minimum 2 persons per booking or add single supplement fee for solo traveler.
- Allow up to 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us.
- Please note that pricing is per person.
- Suggest booking a minimum of 1 month in advance during high season (November 1 to April 30)
- This tour offers discounts for up to 8 people booking in one group with lower price per person by adding more people.
- This is a private tour, suitable for groups, not a join in basis.
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection.
Refund / Cancellation Policy
Guest cancelling within these time periods, fees will apply as follows:
- 15 days prior to departure, full refund less 10% of tour booking
- 3 to 14 days prior to departure, full refund less 25% of tour booking
- less than 72 hours, refund less 50% of tour booking
- less than 24 hours or no show, 100% of tour booking fee is non refundable
Ask about Ancient Capitals and Horse Carriages