Fine Dining, Local Fresh Markets, Ancient History!
"This was a super sweet trip. The Mekhala crew were caring and thoughful. We loved Ayuthaya. It was only 24 hours but it felt like we were away for days because we experienced so much " - Bob, Seattle
The ornately restored delicately crafted rice barges reborn as the Mekhala River Cruise vessels transport you back in time. You are well cared for by the professional crew on the magestic Chao Phraya River. The setting for 2 Day / 1 Night overnight journey is between Bangkok and Ayuthaya, a former kingdom of the ancient past. The cruise retraces the paths of former royal processions. Your journey, starts on the Mekhala in Bangkok and ends in Ayuthaya at Bang Pa-in Summer Palace. There are only six rooms on board and all air conditioned with private bathrooms, promising you an unparalleled sense of personal space.
This is a terrific tour for small groups of 2 or up to 8 people. The prices include a 1-night / 2-day cruise on board the Mekhala. You will visit a market on route, enjoy a delicious Thai dinner, a lovely breakfast and snacks, water, tea and coffee with meals. Relaxing in the evening on deck while you take in the local scenery and river life is a highlight. The adventure continues on day 2 with a visit to historic Auythaya.
Here you disembark Mekhala and you can tour Ayuthaya on your own or you can book one of two options, please read "Good to Know".
Check out the itinerary!
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
Your excursion starts as the MEKHALA casts off around 1.30 pm and heads up the Chao Phraya River, passing the magnificent Grand Palace and the Temple of Dawn and observing the way of rural life along the river.
Arriving at Pathum Thani in the afternoon, you will visit a fresh market where local people shop for food, fresh produce and a variety of Thai sweets.
At sunset, the MEKHALA will dock at Wat Kai Tia, a Buddhist temple located in a tranquil rural village. An exquisite candlelit dinner of mouth-watering Thai cuisine will be served on the deck. Enjoy the evening, site back and relax or go ashore for a short exploration.
You will spend the night on board Mekhala, in your private air-conditioned well appointed cabin.
We start the day by cruising to a small village of Baan Saladang, an aged-old Mon community who migrated from Burma to this area in the early 19th century. The villagers here have successfully maintained their traditional life style, customs and natural surroundings. You will also see a collection of well-preserved typical Thai houses in this charming village.
Afterwards, you can partake of a delicious breakfast. Later in the morning about 10 am, you will disembark at the pier of Wat Niwet Thama Prawat next to Bang-Pa-In Summer Palace. Upon arriving at the pier, you can decide your plan, enter the Bang Pa In Summer Palace (entrance fee at the door) or start your own tour by following the road in northern direction through idyllic villages along rice-paddies.
You can visit a local elementary school (if open) to interact with the children. Continue your way and the closer you get to the old capital, the more temple ruins you see along the way. We will want to have a nice Thai lunch around noon at a riverside restaurant.
After lunch, you can check out the old capital and visit historic places such as Wat Mahathat and Wat Pra Sri Sanphet. Enjoy the history of Ayutthaya, its temples and kings. As you continue along you will see local markets where typical local delicacies are baked, fried and sold. Not far from the market, there will be big reclining Buddha, the biggest one in Ayuthaya, at Luang Phor Lokayasuttha.
After you are finished with your tour of Ayuthaya, you will rendezvous with air the conditioned car and driver that you booked to take you back to your hotel in Bangkok. All in all, a great trip!
Good to Know
There is no better way to view the variety of river life that exists on Thailand's "River of Kings", the majestic Chao Phraya. In an enjoyable and exciting one day river trip on the Mekhala, you can take in centuries of Thailand's history and culture.
- This is a join in program.
- Mekhala has 6 air conditioned state rooms.
- Departure time is 1:30 pm from Bangkok on Tuesday's, Thursday's and Saturday's
- You will enjoy the experience and services of a qualified crew and very fine food
The Pier in Bangkok
The pier on the Chao Phraya River is called the Wat Yannawa Pier. After you book, we will gladly provide you with exact directions to the pier's location on the Chao Phraya River. It's about 200 meters walk from the Saphan Taksin BTS Skytrain Station. Most people just take the Skytrain to Taksin Station. You should arrive about 45 minutes prior to departure please. We will confirm all your details prior to your departure.
Two Return Transfer Options to Bangkok
Option 1: $135. Package price for 1 to 7 people.
You may book a car or van for pick up at the pier in Ayuthaya. Price is not per person, its package price for 1 to 7 people. Pick up time is about 3:00 pm and transfer back to Bangkok in an air conditioned car or van, giving you time to explore Ayuthaya on your own for half a day after you disembark the Mekhala in the morning. After you are finished looking around Ayuthaya, make your way back to the pier to where you meet your driver and air conditioned car will be waiting.
Option 2: $199. Package price for 1 to 7 people.
You may book a guided tour in Ayuthaya with English, french or German speaking guide. Price is not per person, its a package price for 1 to 7 people. This option starts with pick up at the pier in Ayuthaya after you disembark Mekhala, includes guide services around the archeological site in Ayuthaya, a long tail boat ride to view life style of people along the riverside from Ayuthaya to Bang Pa In Palace, a visit to see the palace and transfer to the pier where the air conditioned car or van will be waiting.
There is also an extra charge of 630 Thai Baht per person which includes lunch and the ticket admissions if you wish to enter the Bang Pa In Palace, this also includes entry to 2 other temples, Wat Maha Dhat and Wat Chai Wattanaram. The child rate is 475 Thai Baht. You can decide later about this.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price in USD, minimum 2 persons per booking required, inclusive of local taxes
- Same day confirmations or allow up 24 hours for TourChoice to confirm your booking
- Please request a Ground Transfer option from Ayuthaya back to your Hotel in Bangkok or you can hire a taxi
- The price of the Ground Transfer is separate from the cruise.
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Booking 60 days or less in advance requires prepayment in full once your reservation is confirmed
- If booking longer than 60 days prior to departure date, a 50% deposit on conformation
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Suggest booking a minimum of 2 months in advance during high season (November 1 to March 31)
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection under About Us.
- Child under 12 years shares a double room with 2 adults charge at 75% from adult rate (double sharing).
- Infants (under 2 years old) are free of charge. Each room has a day bed that is suitable for kids.
- Mekhala Chao Phraya river cruise operates on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday from Bangkok based on a minimum of 2 participants.
- Groups are often about 6 to 8 people, sometimes less and a minimum of 2 people are required to run the tour.
Refund / Cancellation / No Show:
- Full refund less 5% up to 22 days prior to departure
- Refund less 25 % of tour rate if 21 days or less prior to departure
- Refund less 50 % of tour rate if 14 days or less prior to departure
- Refund less 75 % of tour rate if 7 days or less prior to departure
- One day and No show : Forfeit 100 % of tour rate
Ask about Chao Phraya River Cruise Bangkok to Ayuthaya