A Private Tour with Fun Activities
Trek out the forest and kayak the Ping River downstream. An elephant show or ride is not included in this program. If you wish to include an elephant ride we will do this at the Chiang Dao Elephant camp on the morning of day one. In the latter case departure time will be an hour earlier on that day.
Here's a private adventure for you and your companions that combines enjoyable activities such as kayaking and trekking as well as taking the time to meet and converse with locals; learning Thai ways of life which may just be the most memorable party of your experience.
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
Your guide will pick you up at the hotel. You will drive to the north into the mountains near Chiang Dao. First we will stop at a local market. Your guide will do some shopping for the coming days. He will take you along and will explain about the different ingredients he will be using for dinner. Continue to Chiang Dao. Lunch will be in the jungle. After lunch we will start trekking. The trail has a few steep hills but most of the trail is relatively easy. All together we walk about 2,5 – 3 hours. We will invite you to recognize wild ginger, rattan and the pitcher plant in the forest and tell you all about bamboo and its many uses. Late in the afternoon we will reach our final destination of today, the Palong village Mae Chon. There are only a handful of Palong villages in Northern Thailand. The Palong tribe only recently moved from Myanmar to Thailand. The women wear a distinctive costume mostly in red, with rattan hoops and silver belt worn around the waist. After arrival in the village you can relax, explore the village or learn some Thai cooking by helping your guide prepare the dinner. He can explain you about the herbs and ingredients he uses. After dinner you will meet some of the villagers. Overnight will be in one of the village houses.
Wake up to sounds of nature. Your guide will prepare breakfast afterwhich your guide will show you around the village. He will explain about the village shrine and about the ‘huja rawl’, the ‘village heart’. Say goodbye to the villagers and start trekking for about about 1 hour to the Karen village Thakilek. Our car will be waiting for us. We drive to the starting point where your kayak adventure will start. After instructions, our itinerary will depend on the water levels in the river. We might start more upriver and kayak through the jungle, depending on the flow of the Ping River. The Ping River flows gently in the shadow of mighty Doi Chiang Dao, the third highest mountain in Thailand. The river contours are demanding when the creek like features force us to adhere to the river’s path. This is a very nice river to learn to tricks of river kayaking. Enjoy the commanding views and the relaxed pace of life along this river. You will see fishermen throwing their nets waiting for a catch and farmers tending their fields along the river. Friendliness here is genuine and they will always have time to wave. Near Chiang Dao we will have lunch at a nice spot along the river. Passing through Chiang Dao, past villages and farmland towards the southern part of the valley, our car will be waiting for us in Chiang Dao. Drive back to Chiang Mai, on the way back will be at an Orchid nursery. Hotel at about 5:00 pm.
Good to Know
About this Tour
- This is a Private Tour, not join in basis.
- Duration of this Tour: 2 Day/1 night
- Departure Time: 08:00
- End Time: 7 - 8 pm
- Difficulty Level: easy
- Transportation: Minibus
- Accommodation: village homestay
What You Should Bring:
- Hiking shoes with good grip
- Sun cream
- Headgear, Insect repellent (DEET medicated)
- Sun glasses
- Small backpack
- Short sleeve shirts for the day time (bring a spare one, just in case)
- Long sleeves for the evening (especially in the winter Nov - Feb it can be a bit cold)
- Shoes with good grip
- Your personal toiletries
- Fully charged batteries or even an extra battery for your camera.
- 1000-1500 Thai Baht per person in small notes (not bigger than 500 Thai Baht and plenty of 100 Thai Baht notes). For souvenirs or extra drinks and tips.
Due to weather conditions and other conditions on the ground we might have to adjust the itinerary of this trekking. If it is necessary to adjust the program we will always make sure that the quality of your experience and your personal safety are safeguarded.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price in USD, minimum 2 persons per booking or solo traveler add $130 for single supplement.
- Allow up to 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us.
- Suggest booking a minimum of 1 month in advance during high season (November 1 to April 30)
- This tour offers discounts for multiple persons booking in one group. This is a private tour suitable for groups of two or more with special pricing on a per person basis.
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection.
Refund / Cancellation Policy
Guest cancelling within these time periods, fees will apply as follows:
- 15 days prior to departure, full refund less 10% of tour booking
- 3 to 14 days prior to departure, full refund less 25% of tour booking
- less than 72 hours, refund less 50% of tour booking
- less than 24 hours or no show, 100% of tour booking fee is non refundable
Ask about Chiang Dao Trekking & Kayaking