Enjoy Every Moment at your Own Pace
Here's another easy going private guided tour. Just 2 Days / 1 Night is all you need for memorable highlights. This short sensational Thailand tour starts in Lampang and ends in Chiang Mai.
Your driver and tour guide will take you to see the highlights of Lampang and surroundings before we drive to Chiang Mai. Lampang is actually older than Chiang Mai and its often referred to as “Horse Carriage City”. Lampang used to be the centre of the teak industry and a lof of migrants from former British-controlled Burma made Lampang their home which helped give rise to magnificent temples and colonial style houses. Close to Lampang is the Elephant Conservation Centre and an impressive elephant hospital which we will visit as well.
Here's a chance to sit back, relax and be chauffeured around in style while you immerse yourself in the history and culture of Lampang and the surrounding area. The English speaking guides are well informed. If teak and colonial homes are your thing, this trip is for you. Lampang also hosts a popular and large ceramics fair that lasts for up to 10 days and is usually in early December.
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
Your guide and driver will meet you at the airport if you arrive on the early morning flight from Bangkok or at the railway station if you arrive by train from Bangkok. The city of Lampang claims to be the leading centre of Lanna culture. It certainly is much older than Chiang Mai and has some of the most beautiful temples of Northern Thailand. In the 19th century Lampang became a centre of teak logging with at least 4,000 elephants working in the area. It has strong Burmese influences due to the Burmese workers the British logging companies brought with them. There are some magnificent historic houses dating back from that period. First stop will be the 100 year old railway market. Wander around, your guide will explain about the fresh food that is for sale here. We will visit the interesting Lampang Horse Carriage Centre which is right on the Wang River. Learn about the different types of horse carriages. Next, a horse cart ride through the streets of Lampang. We will visit the Burmese monastery Wat Si Rong Muang, Wat Prakaeo Don Tao as well as Ban Sao Nak, a unique historic teakwooden house. We will walk along the old city walls of Lampang before we will have lunch at the Riverside restaurant. After lunch we will explore the Talad Gao area on foot. Here you will see some beautiful colonial style houses. Visit beautifully restored home of Muang Nghe Zin and enjoy coffee. We will also visit a temple with a centuries old teakwooden wiharn.
After breakfast we will drive to Wat Lampang Luang, by many considered the most beautiful temple of Northern Thailand. Next stop will be the Thung Kwiean market. Continue to the Lampang Elephant Conservation Centre. Here you will watch how elephants once were used in the teak logging industry. Lunch will be at the Elephant Conservation Centre. An optional elephant ride is available (not included).
Lunch will be at the Centre.
Before driving back to Chiang Mai we will also visit the hospital of the Friends of the Asian Elephant Foundation. This hospital is located next to the Elephant Conservation Centre. Watch a short but very moving video about Motala, the elephant that lost a leg when it stepped on a landmine. The foundation welcomes donations. After this we will drive back to Chiang Mai. We will make a stop at Wat Pra That Haripunchai, Lamphun’s most famous temple. Last stop of today will be the handicraft centre of Ban Tawai, one of the best places to buy souvenirs in Chiang Mai. Continue to Chiang Mai where we will arrive about 5-6 PM.
Good to Know
About this Tour
- Private Tour, not join in Basis.
- Duration of this Tour: 2 Day/1 night
- Departure Time: early morning, at your convenience
- End Time: 6 pm
- Difficulty Level: super easy!
- Transportation: private AC SUV
- Accommodation: Riverside Guesthouse – Aircon room
Where to Meet:
Your guide will meet you at a hotel in Lamgapng or, in case you arrive on the morning flight from Bangkok, at the Lampang Airport. If you arrive by train or bus, the guide can meet you at those locations as well. We just need to know in advance. Keep in mind that trains are often not on schedule.
What You Should Bring:
- Walking shoes
- Sun cream
- Sun glasses
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Minimum 2 persons per booking required or add single supplement fee for solo traveler.
- Allow up to 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us.
- Please note that pricing is per person
- Suggest booking a minimum of 1 month in advance during high season (November 1 to April 30)
- This tour offers discounts for up to 8 persons booking in one group. with lower pricing on a per person basis.
- This is a private tour suitable for groups of two or more.
- Payments are by PayPal to TourChoice.com
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection.
Tour Operator Cancellation Policy :
- Guest cancelling within these time periods, fees will apply as follows:
- 15 days prior to departure, 10% of booking will be charged
- 3 to 14 days prior to departure, 25% of booking will be charged
- less than 72 hours, 50% of booking will be charged
- less than 24 hours or no show, 100% of booking fee is non refundable
The tour operator is insured for accident coverage.
Ask about Focus on Lampang