Sit Back and Relax in Comfort & Style
The cultural experience continues as the tour guide takes you to the minorities’ village of Doi Mae Salong, nowadays most inhabitants of Santikhiri are still ethnic Chinese and this pretty mountain village has a distinct Chinese feel. Tea shops and tea plantations are on the itinerary here.
This private tour allows you and your companions to travel in air conditioned style with your guide while you meander your way through the itinerary visiting mountain villages, temples, the Hall of Opium, float down the Mekong River and dine at interesting restaurants. You will explore the borderlands of Chiang Rai, Mae Sai, Golden Triangle and take a boat trip on Mekong River. A relaxing and interesting guided tour experience.
As an option, this tour can also end in Chiang Khong which makes perfect sense if you are planning to travel into Laos because Chiang Khong is a border town with Laos located on the Mekong River. So its great chance to pick up our river cruise starting in Houei Sai, Laos which is just across the border from Thailand.
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
Your guide and driver will meet you at the hotel at 0830. This morning we will drive to Doi Angkhang along a very beautiful, narrow road along the Thai-Burmese border. Doi Ankhang is 1,300 meters high and temperatures are cool all year round. Enjoy the magnificent views. Stop briefly at the former headquarters of General Li Wen Huan in Tham Ngob. General Li was the commander of the 3rd division of the Kuomintang (KMT)army. Tham Ngob has a distinct Yunnanese atmosphere. After arrival at Doi Angkhang we will first have lunch. After lunch we will visit the Royal Project. His Majesty King Bhumibhol Adulyadej and members of Thailand’s Royal Family have set up numerous village-based community development projects nationwide which are now open for small-scale tourism. They provide unique insights into the King’s concept of a sufficiency economy and are models of alternative economic development. Visit the Black Lahu village of Kob Dong and Palong village of Nor Lae. Nor Lae was the first Palong village established in the mid 80’s. We have lunch before descending to Fang. Drive to Thaton where we will stay. Overnight at Mae Kok River Village Resort in a Standard room.
We start the day with a refreshing 45 mins boatride on the Kok River. At the Lahu village Pha Tai we will disembark and continue by car to Santikhiri, on Doi Mae Salong. We will visit an Akha village along the way.
In 1961 remnants of Kuomintang troops arrived at Doi Mae Salong and were allowed to stay there on the condition that they supported the Thai government in its battle against communist insurgents. Nowadays most inhabitants of Santikhiri are still ethnic Chinese and this pretty mountain village has a distinct Chinese feel. We visit here one of the tea shops and tea plantations before we will have lunch in a local restaurant. After lunch we will continue to Chiang Rai. Enjoy the scenic drive. Check into your hotel.
Car, guide and driver will be available until 2100 for a visit of the Night Bazar.Overnight at Laluna Resort in a Garden bungalow.
This morning embark on a full-day exploration of the Golden Triangle. Begin with a visit to the impressive “Hall of Opium”, an excellent museum focusing on the history of the Golden Triangle and the opium trade.
Enjoy lunch at a local restaurant at the Golden Triangle where the borders of Thailand, Laos and Myanmar meet.
After lunch make a boat trip on the Mekong River in a local longtail boat. Visit the island Don Sao, which is Lao territory. Visit Wat Pasak and Wat Chedi Luang, the two most interesting ruined temples from ancient Chiang Saen. Overnight at Serene Hotel in a Superior room.
After your breakfast transfer to Chiang Rai for your late morning flight to Bangkok, or, if you prefer, this tour can also end at Chiang Khong for travel to Laos.
Good to Know
About this Tour
- Private guiuded tour
- Duration is 4 days /3 nights
- Departure Time: 08:00
- End Time: morning on the 4th day
- Difficulty Level: easy but with a bit more walking and a boat trip on the Mekong River
- Transportation: air condition car
- Accommodations: Mae Kok River Village Resort, Laluna Resort and the Serene Hotel
If you prefer, this tour can also end at Chiang Khong if you are planning to travel to Laos. Dinners are intentionally left open allowing you to choose how you spend your evenings. The guide is available.
What You Should Bring:
- Hiking shoes with good grip
- Sun cream
- Sun glasses
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price in USD, minimum 2 persons per booking or add single supplement fee for solo traveler.
- Allow up to 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request
- Suggest booking a minimum of 1 month in advance during high season (November 1 to April 30)
- This tour offers discounts for up to 8 persons booking in one group with special price per person.
- This is a private tour suitable for groups of two or more.
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection.
Refund / Cancellation Policy
Guest cancelling within these time periods, fees will apply as follows:
- 15 days prior to departure, full refund less 10% of tour booking
- 3 to 14 days prior to departure, full refund less 25% of tour booking
- less than 72 hours, refund less 50% of tour booking
- less than 24 hours or no show, 100% of tour booking fee is non refundable
Ask about Golden Triangle Explorer