Sizzle Your Senses with this off Beaten Track Ride
This 3 day / 2 night cycling tour in Central Thailand's Kanchanaburi province is a special treat for nature lovers and cyclists. On a Join-In basis taking you to the River Kwai area, cycle around the town, explore the Kwai Yai and the Kwai Noi rivers as they come together to form the Mae Klong River.
We cannot tour this area without visiting some of the famous sites, but the focus is off the beaten path as we ride along amazing trails through the jungle, teak plantations, villages and the famous River Kwai. We overnight at two riverside lodges where you can take a refreshing swim after a day of cycling.
On this tour, you will enoy an easy going ride each day with none of the distances being difficult. You can expect a few small hills, just a small challenge, but these can be tackled by anyone with even a moderate amount of fitness. The emphasis on this tour is Thailand’s scenery and a healthy dose of nature!
- Tour starts and ends in Bangkok
- Cycling Distance - 102 kilometres
- Cycling Days - 3 days
- Difficulty - 2 out of 5
- A reasonable level of fitness and some biking experience is all you need
You are led by a local English-speaking tour guides who are well informed in the history and culture of the area where you are biking. Our guides enjoy passing that knowledge on to you.
Bikes Included in the Tour
All bikes are very well maintained and we use well-known makes of hybrid or mountain bikes with lightweight alloy frames, 24- to 27-speed, v-brakes and Shimano components and front suspension.
Food and Drink
Meals are included. Just read our itinerary. Meals are delicous and nutricious. We assure it. Any special dietary requirements can also be catered for as well. Please let us know when you book with us.
It's always very important that you have a lot of cold water, energy-restoring local fruit and soft drinks. These are all included in your tour price. You will want for nothing!
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
We head west out of Bangkok and visit historical sights in Kanchanaburi - the War Museum, the war cemetery and the famous bridge. We then board the local train for a stunning ride on the Death Railway. After lunch and a visit to Kraset caves we start biking along some great trails, passing by some teak plantations and small Thai villages, on our way to Wat Prasat Muang Sing. This historical site covering some 74 hectares is believed to have been used by the Khmer empire as a trading point along the Kwai Noi River. We ride around the park and visit the museum before packing up the bikes and driving the short way to our riverside hotel at the Pung Waan Resort.Ride 32 km today.
Today we'll spend most of the day on the bike as we cycle at a leisurely pace along some great trails. This ride is filled with a vast array of colour as we have the red laterite trails, the greens of the jungle and of course the blue skies. This trail has some stunning views of the valleys that surround this area and we ride through some great jungle and farm land. The cycling is a little more challenging than the previous day's ride with some undulating terrain and a gentle climb of about 2 km (but can be avoided). This ride gives us a great chance to see the rolling hills that separate Burma from Thailand. We arrive at our riverside hotel by late afternoon and can choose to relax by the pool, or arrange to have a massage or take a boat trip to visit a Mon village. Tonight stay at the Resotel Resort.
Ride 45 km today.
The ride today is a bit more challenging. Although mainly downhill there are a few small up hills but nothing too strenuous. The main downhill needs to be taken with some caution as it is partly off road and a little bit steep. The reward is to do some riding through primary jungle and the trail follows a small river which meanders down to the river Kwai Noi and makes for a stunning ride. Once we have completed the ride we take a short hop across the river to visit Hellfire Pass, the name given to the 1000m of mountain cut through rock and soil with only the most rudimentary implements by prisoners of war. We also have a chance to visit the museum before we have a local lunch. After lunch we return to Bangkok and drop you off at your hotel. Ride 25 km today.
Good to Know
Accommodations and Trip Route
Check the itinerary for the places and names of hotels and resort where we stay each night. The routes have been chosen to assure you of seeing the best scenery and having a nice ride. We have carefully chosen accommodations finding the best available for the location to offer a good mix from home stays to luxurious lodges.
Good quality tarmac roads or dirt tracks over primarily flat terrain with a few small hills, mixing hard-packed jeep trails and smooth tarmac.
Basic spares and tools are carried by the guide and on the support vehicle, though we cannot guarantee having spares for every conceivable problem. We do carry a basic tool kit, a spare tube and a pump.
Wearing a helmet is strongly recommended on all our biking adventures and if you choose not to wear one you will be asked to sign a liability waiver.
We will be supported by an air-conditioned vehicle that has been specially modified for cycle tours. The vehicle follow us the whole time and it is very easy to get bikes on and off, so you can rest when you are tired and cycle whenever you feel like it.
Passports and Visas
If staying less than 30 days then a visa for Thailand is not required by European, North American, Australian and most nationalities. All nationalities require a passport for entry into Thailand. Please ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months from date of entry.
We recommend that you visit a travel medical doctor and ask about the following vaccinations: typhoid, polio, tetanus and hepatitis A.
Thailand has a tropical climate with fairly high humidity. There are three seasons: from March to June it is hot and dry, with temperatures between 27 and 40C, with night temperatures in the 20s. The rainy season is from July to October, but temperatures are slightly lower, because of the effect of the rain. During this time it will not rain continuously. Mostly in the morning or evening.
The Thai currency is the baht. ATMs, which are abundant, are the easiest ways to get Thai baht. Have a supply of US dollars in cash on hand, just in case your card doesn’t work. Banks or the more rare private money changers offer the best foreign-exchange rates.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour
- Price USD, per person, min 2 people per booking or add single supplement fee for solo traveler.
- Same day confirmations
- Suggest booking a minimum of 2 months in advance for high season (November 1 to April 30)
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection under About Us.
When Booking, Please Provide:
- First name & Family name and valid email address
- Heights of all guests; to select correct bike size (comments field on booking page)
- Pick up & Drop off hotel in Bangkok, if known (comments field on booking page) if not, we will remind you later
- Dietary or special meal requirement(s) (comments field on booking page)
- This tour is a Join In trip
- Departs every Monday from Bangkok based on a minimum of 2 participants.
- Groups average about 8 people
- Pick up times are between 6:30 am to 7:30 am in order to exit Bangkok before traffic.
- Please be sure to email us your hotel contact information in Bangkok well before the tour departure date.
- The tour desk will call your hotel the night before tour departure, therefore it is important that your hotel guest check in name be the same as the name that we have on file.
Refund / Cancellation Policy:
If the guest cancels the trip, the following applies: Number of days prior to trip start:
- 7 days or more - full refund less 5% of tour price
- 6 to 3 days - full refund less 25% of tour price
- 1 or 2 days before - refund less 50% of tour price
- No show - forfiet 100% of tour price
Child Policy & Single Supplement Fee
- Single supplement fee, $74
- Children under 12 from $356 to $387, season depending
Changes to Itinerary
In remote destinations, road, weather or other conditions can occasionally change which means the itinerary can be subject to change. The guides will do their best to adhere to the original itinerary but if a change is necessary, guides cannot be held responsible. Its best for guests to understand, remain flexible will enjoy your adventure.
Ask about Kanchanaburi Cycling Explorer