For Anyone Wanting More than Just Taking Pictures
Pedal your way to the best highlights of the city, ride Asian elephants into local rivers, plunge into adventure sports, and indulge in local culinary delights with a Tamarind school cooking course.
- Luang Prabang Morning Market
- National Museum and the historic Wat Mai, Wat Visoun, and Wat Xieng Thong
- Traditional Arts and Ethnology Center for a fascinating overview of local cultures
- Phousi Mountain with panoramic views of the city and mountain top sunsets
- Morning transfer to an elephant camp in the Nam Khan River valley
- Elephant riding along the Nam Khan River
- Boat ride to the Tad Sae Waterfall, or take a soft hike to hill-tribe villages
- Kayak down the calm Nam Khan River 4 hrs
- We’ll break for lunch on the banks of the river
- Learn to cook Laos style with the highly acclaimed Tamarind cooking class
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
It all starts with a Luang Prabang City tour by bike!
In the morning we will collect you to start your sightseeing day through Luang Prabang. Check your bikes and start exploring this wonderful town on the Mekong. First, your guide will bring you to the local morning market where you can see the locals getting their daily supplies.
Today we will discover this beautiful town and the cultural heritage; you will enjoy a guided cycling tour in the city while visiting the most famous highlights of this beautiful town. This includes the visit to the National Museum (closed on Tuesday and Sunday afternoon), the important Wat Mai from 1796 which emphasizes the graceful Luang Prabang architecture and a visit to the glamorous Wat Xieng Thong on the end of the peninsula... Here you learn about the interesting Lao history and the kingdoms which inherited this place in former times. Enjoy your free time during the lunch time, our guide will recommend a few delicious restaurants to taste the Lao food!
In the afternoon we proceed to visit the ancient Wat Visoun which dates back to the 16th century. Another highlight is the visit to the Traditional Arts and Ethnology Center where you learn many things about today ethnic diversity in Laos.
Return the bikes and then walk up the holy stairs of Phousi Mountain to marvel the sunset over town. A wonderful view over the countryside is worth climbing up the hill...enjoy! Descend into the colorfully lit tents of the Night Market to explore local handmade crafts. Overnight in your choice of hotel in Luang Prabang.
Elephants, Rural Life, Refreshing Swim and a Jungle Resort!
After your pick up service from your hotel you will be transferred to the Zen Namkhan Resort. Next we will visit a nearby elephant camp next to the Nam Khan river for approximately 45 minute elephant experience through the camp and Nam Khan River, possibly with a ride through the jungle, depending on the elephant’s mood and weather conditions! Here at the Nam Khan River, we are permitted to take a dip in the cool running water of this local tributary. Here we find the slow pace Lao rural life in the countryside. After we arrive at the Nam Khan valley, which some people also call the hidden valley of Luang Prabang, a dream set of mountains, rivers and small villages. In your lunch break you can enjoy the wonderful and breathtaking view to a 1,600m high towering mountain range. Afterward, take a boat up to the Tad Sae Waterfall. Enjoy the inviting clear spring waters for a refreshing bath.
Optional: A short and easy trek will bring you into the “Fair Trek” Project area where communities directly profit from your visit. You get to know the culture and traditions of the Khamu people who live here since just about sixty years. Overnight in the Zen Namkhan Resort.
Kayak back to Luang Prabang!
After breakfast take a short boat ride to Ban Xieng Lom village. From here you start the soft kayaking tour on the Nam Khan River. You paddle your kayak about 3-4 hrs on the Nam Khan, passing a few small rapids here and there. We’ll enjoy lunch on a riverbank half-way. After arrival in Luang Prabang we’ll transfer you to your hotel by minivan.
A Cooking Class with a Difference!
Join us in Tamarind’s picturesque lakeside pavilions. You’ll cook Lao food and learn about the habits and customs at the heart of Lao cuisine. Cooking Lao-style always means using fresh ingredients, some intriguing and with unfamiliar flavours. You’ll pound your ingredients in a mortar & pestle, and cook over an open fire. All non-private classes include vegetarian options and take home recipes
Yes, transport is included!
We start with a visit to the major food market in the morning where you will learn about the local produce and what it is used for. Then we will take you to Tamarind Gardens to cook and eat. You will get to know varieties of jeow: the fundamental Lao spicy dipping sauces. You will try Mok Pa, a fragrant fish steamed with herbs in banana leaves. Not to mention, Tamarind's speciality: lemongrass stuffed with chicken and herbs. There is always Orlarm a Luang Prabang eggplant-based speciality. Last but not least a delicious unusual dessert course: a surprise. And of course you will learn the art of perfecting sticky rice and its eating etiquette. A wonderful day for sure!
End of Services. Transfer to airport or your hotel. Thank you!
Good to Know
Child at 75% of adult rate
Hotels for this Tour - Chose when Booking
- Superior Rooms in Luang Prabang at the Maison Dalabua Classic
- Superior Rooms outside of Luang Prabang - The Lao Spirit Resort or the Zen Namkhan Resort Villa
- Dexluxe Rooms in Luang Prabang at the Muang Thong Hotel
- Deluxe Rooms outside of Luang Prabang at the Zen NamKhan Resort
- Please choose room type when booking
Getting in and out of Northern Laos
Read our Laos Destination Guide here for information on getting in and out of Laos.
All travelers should have an entry visa to Laos valid for the duration of their stay prior to their arrival and carry a passport which is valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in Laos. Passenger’s passport should have at least 2 blank pages on arrival to Laos. This websites is convient for purchasing your Laos entry visa. VisaHQ also has operations in Europe, UK and Australia. Allow about one week for visa processing on these websites. You can also do visa on arrival in Laos.
Visitors from ASEAN countries and Russia, Korea, Japan and Switzerland can enter Laos without a visa. Everyone else has to apply for a visa issued by a Laos embassy or consulate or obtain a visa on arrival which is available at major entry points including airports and at the border to Thailand at the Friendship Bridge near Vientiane. The price depends on nationality of the visitor about $35.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Minimum 2 persons per booking
- Suggest booking a minimum of 6 weeks in advance during high season (October 1 to April 30)
- Allow 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us
- Pricing in USD, per person and include local taxes
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- Full and final payment must be paid 60 days prior to departure or the booking will be cancelled and the deposit forfeited
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection
Single Supplement Fee:
The single supplement fee is the additional amount that a single traveler pays over and above the price per person for groups of 2 or more. This being a private tour makes it very expensive for one person. Please ask us for a quote if you would like to travel solo.
We strongly recommend that you buy your own personal trip cancellation insurance for your own protection. You should also buy insurance coverage appropriate for medical, travel coverage and personal liability which should include travel repatriation. The tour operator or tour agent cannot be held responsible for personal loss or injury where customers choose not to secure such insurance coverage
Cancellation and Refund:
The cancellation fee depends on the day of our written receipt of your cancellation. Email is best Phone calls will not be accepted.
• 30 to 15 days before arrival date - refund less 30% of tour price
• 14 to 7 days before arrival date - refund less 50% of tour price
• 6 to 1 days before arrival date or on arrival - forfeit 100% of tour price
• no show and cancellation on day of departure - forfeit 100% of tour price
Changes to Tour:
The tour operator or tour guide may have to make changes to the services or the itineray as a result of such variables as weather conditions, political situations, road conditions and other unforseen circumstances.
Ask about Laos Heritage, Explore Luang Prabang