Soft Adventure - An Authentic Experience to Savor
The Lisu migrated from southern China and Tibet in the early 20th century. Built in traditional Lisu style with an eye for western comforts, the lodge overlooks the lush fields and hills surrounding the valley and serves as your base camp for a magical blend of adventure, relaxation and insight. This is a really beautiful setting. The rooms and the beds are very comfortable.
During the tour, a family elder will guide you around the village to introduce you to Lisu customs and culture. You will view the local shrine, admire the work of skilled silversmiths and marvel at fine embroidery work, and perhaps even be invited into someone’s home to share some tea.
You can enjoy some relaxing Hill Tribe experiences such as an easy bike ride to a tea plantation, white water rafting and hiking. If you don't like white water rafting you can just walk through the forest and see how the Lisu people farm in the forest. That in itself is interesting, At Lisu Lodge, the accommodation is comfortable, king-size beds or twin bedded rooms with en-suite bathrooms electric fans (non air-conditioned) are available. Meals and drinks are delicous. English speaking tour guides are from the local Lisu village.
This tour can be as relaxing or as active as you want it to be. Its perfect for groups, families or couples even if they have diverse interests.
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
9:00 am Pick up and transfer from hotel in Chiang Mai by joint open-air local truck.
10:00 Arrive at the Lisu Lodge. A traditional welcome drink will be served. Then, drive by local open-air truck to the area near Pha Mieng. Start walking along the jungle trails to the remote village of Hmong Pha Mieng. Meet the inhabitants of this small hill tribe village in the jungle. Enjoy a picnic lunch in the forest. After lunch, walk to the top of the mountain, about an hour and a half to where the Red Lahu Village of Pha Daeng is located. Continue walking along a mountain ridge to the Lahu village of Kup Kap about another hour, from where you have a spectacular view overlooking the Mae Taeng district and Chiang Mai town glittering at night in the distance. Beyond the mountain peaks to the west lies Myanmar (Burma).
Dinner and overnight at Lahu Outpost, modeled on a typical Lahu house. Basic amenities are provided: mattress, pillow, bed linen, blankets, towels, mosquito nets, etc. Two Western-style toilets and a communal shower are provided.
After an early breakfast, we go on a one and a half hour walk down a steep jungle path passing by the Huay Sadharn Waterfall. This brings us to the spot where we will mount the elephants and continue on a one hour ride down to the river. In a remarkable setting on the bank of the river we first enjoy a delicious picnic lunch. Afterwards we go rafting down the river for about 45 minutes. From there you return to Lisu Lodge. Upon arrival, a welcome drink will be served before you check into your room. Afterwards you will receive a briefing so you can select your activity for the following morning. Guided by a Lisu villager, walk from Ton Lung temple to visit the herbal garden. Then continue through the village with a stop for a cup of tea at the village shaman’s house. Chat with the Lisu shaman and learn about his life, beliefs, curing rites and Lisu traditions. Time at leisure until Thai dinner with a traditional Lisu dance show.Overnight at Lisu Lodge.
In the morning you have a choice of activities: You may take a guided bike tour around the Lisu Lodge area or just relax and have a nice steam bath and Massage or go for an Ox-cart ride through farmlands and orchards to the Thai village of Baan Pang Mai Daeng - about an hour ending up back at Lisu Lodge. You are welcome to go cycling by yourself and we will give you a road book of recommended itineraries.
Enjoy a delicious Thai lunch. End of Program 2:00 pm. Transfer from Lisu Lodge to hotel in Chiang Mai by joint open air local truck
Good to Know
Booking this tour is on a join in basis as there are other guests at the lodge. Your booking requires a minimum of 2 people traveling together. Don't forget to bring copy of their passport & Thai visa page with stamp into Thailand.
Level of Difficulty:
The cycling or hiking is available to anyone in good health or people who lead a moderately active life participating in some sports or exercise. Trails are sometimes a bit slippery. Expect to be hiking for about 2 to 3 hours per day with some ups and downs. For people of average fitness, its barely a moderate challenge.
On the last day, a second additional 1-2 hour activity can be booked at a nominal charge but as a free activity you are welcome to go cycling by yourself and we will give you a road book of recommended itineraries. The cycling is fun and the bikes are good. Helmuts are provided.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price USD, per person, minimum 2 persons per booking or add single supplement fee for solo traveler.
- Allow up to 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us.
- Transfers from Chiang Mai are extra, cost is $15 per person each way. By local truck which could be a van or pick up. It's part of the experience!
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- 50% deposit due if booking 3 or more months in advance
- Payment in full is due a minimum of one month before tour date or reservation will be cancelled
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection under About Us
- Recommended that you book minimum of 2 months in advance for tours between Nov 1 to March 31
Child Policy & Misc:
- Children from 2-12 years old sharing parent’s room with mattress: 50 % discount off adult rate
- Tour not overly recommended for children younger than 10 years of age
- Guests should be healthy and in good physical condition.
- Weather conditions can impose changes in the program or the cancellation of activities.
- Guests need to bring a copy of their passport & Thai visa page with stamp into Thailand
Refund / Cancellation / No Show:
- Full refund less 5% up to 22 days prior to departure
- Refund less 25 % of tour rate if 21 days or less prior to departure
- Refund less 50 % of tour rate if 14 days or less prior to departure
- Refund less 75 % of tour rate if 7 days or less prior to departure
- One day and No show : Forfeit 100 % of tour rate
Ask about Lisu Lodge to Lahu Outpost Trekking Adventure