Legendary Ayuthaya, Overnight Cruise on Mekhala
It's a 2 Day / 1 Night journey. The cruise takes you from Ayuthaya, the former kingdom of Siam, along the way retracing the paths of former royal processions back to Bangkok. There are six air conditioned rooms with private bathrooms, promising you an unparalleled sense of intimacy and personal space.
The idea behind booking this river cruise is that for an extra $199, you can book a transfer from Bangkok to Ayutthaya first (good for 1 to 7 people) in a private air conditioned mini van including hotel pick up in Bangkok, dirver, tour guide with guided tour around Ayutthaya first and a long tail boat ride to Bang Pa In Palace. Lunch is separate and there is a separate intrance fee to the Palace and other temples.
The cruise on board Mekhala price includes the1-night / 2-day cruise, a visit to a market on route, a delicious Thai dinner, breakfast and snacks, water, tea and coffee with meals. The evening dinner on deck is lovely and relaxing just take in the culture of variety of river life along the way back to Bangkok.
This trip is perfect the introductory tour for new arrivals in Thailand. Or, its the perfect romantic get-a-way to escape Bangkok.
The $199 transfer option by car to Ayutthaya is very economical for groups of up to 7. If you are 8 or more people, you wil need 2 vehicles for the transfer but no problem because there are 3 Mekhala sister ship river cruising vessels, so we can handle a very large party should you wish more than 20 people!
Check out the itinerary!
"We had a great time, very romantic, a really lovely river boat and the food was delicious."
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
The boat sets sail around 2.30 p.m. from the pier near Bang – Pa – In Palace. Now is the time to relax and enjoy watching rural life along the “River of Kings”. You will stop for a visit at a small village of Baan Saladang, an aged-old Mon community who migrated from Burma to this area in the early 19th century. The villagers here have successfully maintained their traditional life style, customs and natural surroundings. You will also see a collection of well-preserved typical Thai houses in this charming village. Soon after sunset, the MEKHALA will dock at Wat Kai Tia, a local Buddhist temple set in a tranquil village. An exquisite candlelit dinner of mouth-watering Thai cuisine awaits you on the deck. You will spend the night on board the boat in your air-conditioned cabin.
Today, we will leave the pier early for a visit at a morning market in Pathum Thani. You will observe a way of life as local people shop for food and fresh produce. Afterwards, you can partake of a delicious breakfast. The boat will continue cruising down the river to Bangkok. You will be able to take in the sights, marveling at the magnificent Grand Palace and the Temple of Dawn along the way. You will arrive in Bangkok in the late morning at approx 11:00 am.
Good to Know
There is no better way to view the variety of river life that exists on Thailand's "River of Kings", the majestic Chao Phraya. In an enjoyable and exciting one day river trip on the Mekhala, you can take in centuries of Thailand's history and culture.
- This is a join in program.
- Mekhala has 6 air conditioned state rooms.
- Departure time is 3:00 pm from the pier near Bang Pa In Palace from Ayuthaya
- This Mekhala Chao Phraya cruise operates on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday from Ayuthaya
- You will enjoy the experience and services of a qualified crew and declious Thai food on board
Transfer to Ayuthaya & Tour Options
We offer two transfer options from your hotel in Bangkok to the pier in Ayuthaya. (specify in comments field on booking form)
Option 1: Good for 1 to 7 people. Car hire for $135
Hire a car or van with hotel pick up in Bangkok. Not price per person, but the price is for the car and driver. Pick up is about 6:30 am and transfer to Ayuthaya, giving you time to explore Ayuthaya on your own for a half day before you make your way to the pier to where you board the Mekhala Chao Phraya river cruiser for the overnight trip back to Bangkok.
Option 2: Good for 1 to 7 people. Car hire with guided tour for $199.
A guided tour in Ayuthaya with English, french or German speaking guide. Not price per person, but price is for car or SUV or mini van, driver and guide in Ayuthaya. This option also starts with hotel pick up in Bangkok, transfer to Ayuthaya, includes guide services around the archeological site in Ayuthaya, a long tail boat ride to view life style of people along the riverside from Ayuthaya to Bang Pa In Palace, a visit to the palace before boarding the Mekhala river cruise boat.
There is also an extra charge of 630 Thai Baht per person which includes lunch and the ticket admissions if you wish to enter the Bang Pa In Palace, this also includes 2 other temples, Wat Maha Dhat and Wat Chai Wattanaram. The child rate is 475 Thai Baht.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price USD, per person, min of 2 persons per booking, inclusive of local taxes
- Same day confirmations or up to 24 hours
- Please request a Ground Transfer Option to Ayuthaya from your Hotel in Bangkok. The price of the Ground Transfer is separate from the cruise. Just mention your transport needs in the special requests section on the booking form. Please read " Good to Know:.
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card companies
- Booking 45 days or less in advance requires repayment in full after confirmation
- Booking 46 days or longer prior to departure a 50% deposit on conformation and full payment is needed 45 days prior to tour.
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Suggest booking a minimum of 2 months in advance during high season (November 1 to April 30)
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection under About Us.
- Child under 12 years shares a double room with 2 adults charge at 75% from adult rate (double sharing).
- Infants (under 2 years old) are free of charge. Each room has a day bed that is suitable for kids.
- This tour is on a join in basis.
- Cruise departs from Ayuthaya every Wednesday, Friday and Sunday from Ayuthaya based on a minimum of 2 participants.
- Groups are often about 6 to 8 people, sometimes less and a minimum of 2 people are required to run the tour.
Refund / Cancellation / No Show:
- Full refund less 5% up to 22 days prior to departure
- Refund less 25 % of tour rate if 21 days or less prior to departure
- Refund less 50 % of tour rate if 14 days or less prior to departure
- Refund less 75 % of tour rate if 7 days or less prior to departure
- One day and No show : Forfeit 100 % of tour rate
Ask about Mekhala River Cruise - Ayuthaya to Bangkok