Enjoy Picturesque Trails from Village to Village
Endulge your sense of adventure with this well planned trekking expedition in Myanmar. Accommodations are mostly hotels with one night in a homestays or monestary on day 3 of the tour. Meals are enjoyed at restaurants, markets, hotels and homestays. Your flight from Yangon to Heho and back to Yangon are an extra cost ($260) on top of the tour price. Please see Terms and Conditions for details.
This trek offers a great taste of fresh mountain air, a gplimps into life in rural northern Myanmar while viewing interesting plantations, farms, small villages with various ethnic groups and fascinating monuments and pagoda's.
As a private tour, adjustments to the itinerary can be made along the way to your liking. Meals are included in the tour itinerary.
You will be met at the airport in Yangon. We will need to know your flight arrival and departure details in advance. Your tour starts after airport pick up.
Two Hotel Options, Superior Class & 1st Class
* Note: When booking this tour, please choose your hotel options (Superior Class or 1st class) on the booking page.
- Superior Class - Reno Hotel (superior room)
- 1st Class Kandawgyi Palace Hotel (superior room)
- Superior Class - Hilltop Villa Resort (superior room)
- 1st Class - Amara Mountain Resort (superior room)
Inle Lake Hotels
- Superior Class- Hupkin Khaung Daing Resort (superior room)
- 1st Class - Prestine Lotus & Spa Resort (Villa room)
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
Upon arrival at the YANGON airport, you will be welcomed by your Myanmar English speaking guide and journey begins tour through the colonial-style city center of Yangon. We visit the golden SULE PAYA stupa – built over 2,000 years ago and the focal point of numerous historical events in the city –CHAUK THAT GYI pagoda to view its magnificent reclining Buddha, and KARAWEIK HALL to marvel at the uniquely decorated “hamsa-bird-shaped” floating barge on KANDAWGYI (ROYAL) LAKE. We complete the day with a visit to one of the world’s most spectacular monuments, the SWEDAGON PAGODA, a gleaming bell dome structure that dominates the city’s skyline. Legends state that the sacred hairs of the Buddha are enshrined here. The Shwedagon is an iconic symbol of the country, a sight not to be missed.
Enjoy breakfast and then transfer to the airport for the flight to HEHO, a quiet transit town with one of the few airport links in the beautiful hills of Shan State. Visit the bustling main HEHO MARKET, the meeting point for different ethnic minority groups of the surrounding areas to trade handmade goods and locally grown produce (on market days only). Enroute to Kalaw, we stop at a LOCAL FAMILY WORK SHOP to learn how Shan umbrellas and paper are made by traditional methods using the fibres of the mulberry tree. We continue our 1-hour drive to KALAW, a former British colonial hill station where ambassadors would spend the summers enjoying the crisp mountain air and sipping on gin tonics. After we check into the hotel and enjoy our lunch, we can spend afternoon either luxuriating in fresh mountain air for those who prefer sedentary pleasures, or hiking around Kalaw’s beautiful forest vistas for those yearning more active pursuits. Local guides can adjust the duration and difficulty of the more active activities according to our wishes.
After breakfast, transfer by car (30 minutes) to trekking point near MYIN MA HTIN and start your trek from Baw Hnin Khong village to the Tun Khong, west of Kalaw on the rim of the mountains. On the way, you can visit Pa O village and enjoy visiting their long huts, their mountain plantations and the scenic surroundings. En route stop at Kone La village for lunch. In the afternoon, continue hiking through the mountain with farms, villages inhabited by the DANU TRIBE, old monasteries, and mountain creeks through Pauk To village round about 2 ½ hours. Then arrive to HTI THEIN VILLAGE of PAO TRIBE (½ hour) in the evening and stroll around the village to see the life style of the inhabitants.
Meals included breakfast, simple lunch, dinner are cooked at local house by our staff.
Accommodation at local house or monastery. Sleeping facilities are local style. Simple mattresses on floor with bed linen, pillows and blankets in a shared room. Personal mosquito nets are also provided.
After a local style breakfast, hike through Pao villages, which sit on the mountainous area dotted with farms and bamboo forests. Also visit some village school to chat or play with the children or visit to one of the local houses. Arrive at Than Taung Village. Lunch at small restaurant at the village market place. Your trekking will end at one of the villages near the western shore of Inle Lake and you will be take boat ride to your hotel. After check in at the hotel, take a rest and dinner at hotel (to your own account).
After breakfast, today you’ll enjoy a scenic bike ride Nyaung Shwe to Khaung Daing. (14 km; 15 min a support will be alongside if you wish to only bike for part of this distance). When you arrive at the western shore of Inle Lake, boat will wait for you to enjoy sightseeing in Inle Lake. The area around the lake is inhabited by the Intha people, a descendant of the Mon tribe, who live in stilted houses along the lakeshores and floating villages. And then boat ride to PHAUNGDAW OO PAGODA, the home of some of the country’s most sacred Buddha statues covered in gold leaf by devout followers and a visit to the INPAWKHON WEAVING VILLAGE to learn how local silks, linens and lotus fabrics are handmade and crafted. At NAMPAN VILLAGE, local craftsmen show us how Burmese cigars, or “cheroots,” are traditionally packed and rolled.
After breakfast, we transfer by boat to Nyaung Shwe and transfer to Heho airport for flight to YANGON. Upon arrival, transfer to airport for your international departure flight.
Good to Know
New Online Visa Application for Myanmar!
- You must travel to Myanmar within 90 days of Visa application
- Foriegners can stay in Myanmar for up to 28 days
- Please ensure that your passport has sufficient validity (over six months) before traveling to Myanmar.
- Other websites for purchasing your Myanmar entry visa http://myanmar.visahq.com/
Travelling in Myanmar is an adventure experience. Road conditions vary, communications, electricity supply and standard of lodging and local services are often not up to western standards but are changing. Travel times and schedules are sometimes subject to changes without prior notice.
Getting to Yangon By Air
If you arrive from Bangkok, Air Asia and Bangkok Airways are good choices with a 90 minute flight from Suvarnabhumi Airport, Bangkok's main international airport or from Don Meung Airport in Bangkok. The cost of these flights is between $110 to $130. There are also flights from both Phuket or Chiang Mai but you will probably be routed through Bangkok first.
International connections to Yangon are available from Hong Kong with Tiger Air, Air Asia, Malaysia Airlines, China Eastern, Vietnam Airlines and several other choices. Yangon is also well serviced out of Japan, Korea and Tawian. Thai Airways, Air Ana, Korean Air and Singapore Airlines all service Yangon.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price in USD wih a min of 2 persons per booking
- Suggest booking a minimum of 3 months in advance during high season (mid Oct to April 30)
- Allow up to 48 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us.Some Myanmar tours take longer to confirm if it involves a hotel reservation or airline reservation.
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com if booking is 5 weeks or less in advance of tour start date.
- Full payment must be paid 5 weeks prior to departure or the booking will be cancelled and the deposit forfeited
- If booking more than 5 weeks in advance a 30% deposit is required after your tour has been confirmed
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection
- Please bring US cash to Myanmar, clean new fresh bills
Refund / Cancellation Policy:
If guests cancel after booking and after deposits are paid, refunds and cancellations are processed as follows:
- 61 days or more prior to tour start date, full refund less 5%.
- 60 – 31 days prior to arrival, the 30% deposit will be forfeited.
- 30 – 15 days prior to arrival, 50% of the tour cost will be forfeited.
- 14 days or less prior to arrival, 100% of the tour cost will be forfeited.
Domestic Airfares in Myanmar
Trekking in Shan State Tour involves 2 domestic flights in Myanmar. The cost of these 2 flights combined is $260 per person over and above the tour price. Please read the itinerary for more information. We use one of these airlines, Air Kanbawza, Yangon Airways, Mann Yadanarpon Airlines.
We strongly recommend that you buy your own personal trip cancellation insurance for your own protection. You should also buy insurance coverage appropriate for medical, travel coverage and personal liability which should include travel repatriation. The tour operator or tour agent cannot be held responsible for personal loss or injury where customers choose not to secure such insurance coverage.
Important Note about Myanmar
Myanmar is going through changes at a rapid pace. Hotel capacity can become scarce during peak visiting periods. Local services such as transportation, meals and accommodation are priced in Myanmar currenty (Kyats) and in case of sudden fluctuations in exchange rate, local prices can change quickly.
Many of the hotels require now up to 50% deposit to guarantee bookings. Dealing with many of the local hotels, airlines and transportation suppliers in Myanmar can be subject to sudden rate increases without much notice. These types of events are beyond our control. Your participation in this Myanmar tour implies your understanding of this condition. Thank you!
Ask about Myanmar Trekking in Shan State