Book a Private Guided Tour in Northern Laos
This tour has many highlights with great activities, amazing landscapes, and a great Laotian touch of remoteness.
This tour supports the principles of "Fair Trek" and every person joining is automatically supporting the "Fair Trek" village fund in Nong Khiaw!
- Scenic drive from Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw
- Tour of Patok historic cave
- Overnight in beautiful Nong Khiaw
- Scenic Nam Ou River boat ride and our exclusive 100 Waterfalls tour
- Jungle trekking and Hmong Village homestay
- Traditional boat ride and landscapes
- Dinner and Hill-tribe village cultural homestay
- Boat ride down the Nam Ou River
- Mountain drive return to Luang Prabang
Check out our Laos Destination Guide here
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
After breakfast, drive to Nong Khiaw along great landscapes following the Nam Ou River. Discover a remote and beautiful landscape along the way. On arrival in Nong Khiau we learn more about the local history in a hidden cave which was used in the war time... Enjoy the landscape and the river and mountain scenery from your bungalow. Overnight in Nong Khiaw.
Just "wow" is what our first guests on this trip reported to us...a really amazing day awaits you. Take a 1 hour boat trip on the scenic Nam Ou and start exploring and hiking through the 100 waterfalls, a newly discovered jungle waterfall. A village visit is included as well where you learn more about the life along the Nam Ou River. Conclude with a return ride on our boat to Nong Khiaw.
The region is famous for its mountains. During this trek you will experience the Lao art of living in the mountains. Trek through the mountain areas along the Nam Ou River. You will reach the Nam Ou River in the afternoon after some village visits along the trekking trail. Take a boat ride to Muang Ngoi and overnight in a simple bungalow or guesthouse.
Meet at 09:00 am and transfer by traditional boat up stream on Nam Ou River to Ban Hasapeuy (Khmu village).Today we will trek from Muang Ngoi to your Hmong Homestay. We will then begin trekking uphill to Ban Kioukhan for about 4 hours. Local picnic lunch is on the way. Arrive in Ban Kioukhan in the afternoon. Dine with the locals and overnight in bamboo guesthouse or home of villagers.
Enjoy a relaxing day in Muang Ngoi with soft and smooth activities. Hang out in this beautiful spot on the river. In the afternoon we have a short walk to Ban Na village (Village of the rice paddies) and visit the nearby cave. Stay in Muang Ngoi for the night
Take an upriver cruise and village visits as well as another beautiful cave is on our schedule today. Most impressive for sure is the landscape and the jungle surrounding this area. Overnight in Muang Ngoi.
After breakfast, first take the boat to Nong Khiau (about 1 hour) and then drive to Luang Prabang (about 3-4 hours).
Good to Know
Getting in and out of Northern Laos
Be sure to visit our Destination Guide on Northern Laos. See the tab above.
Visitors from ASEAN countries and Russia, Korea, Japan and Switzerland can enter Laos without a visa. Everyone else has to apply for a visa issued by a Laos embassy or consulate or obtain a visa on arrival which is available at major entry points including airports and at the border to Thailand at the Friendship Bridge near Vientiane. The price depends on nationality of the visitor.
There are four international airports in Laos; Luang Prabang, Savannakhet, Pakse and Vientiane. Laos Airlines fly to all four from Bangkok and the airline also has connections to Luang Prabang and Vientiane from Chiang Mai. Thai Airways also connects Bangkok to Luang Prabang and Vientiane.
Getting the bus is a cheaper option than flying but also takes longer. Northern Laos has land border crossings with China, Thailand, Vietnam and Burma, although foreigners are not allowed cross the land border between Laos and Myanmar. If you come from Thailand you're likely coming from Nong Khai, and if you're coming from China you're likely crossing from at Luang Namtha. From Vietnam there are the options of Sop Hun, the Keo Nua Pass or at Nam Can.
Trains connect Bangkok to Vientiane via the Friendship Bridge and arrives at a new international rail terminal at Thanaleng outside of Vientiane. Trains have second and third class seats or first and second class sleeper trains. Taking the train to Nong Khai on the Thai side and then a bus, shuttle or private taxi to Vientiane is also an option. Tickets from Bangkok Nong Khai is around US$37 for a first class sleeper train and an additional US$1 between Nong Khai and Thanaleng.
All travelers should have an entry visa to Laos valid for the duration of their stay prior to their arrival and carry a passport which is valid for at least 6 months from the date of arrival in Laos. Passenger’s passport should have at least 2 blank pages on arrival to Laos. You can do visa on arrival in Laos.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Minimum 2 persons per booking, Price in USD per person
- Suggest booking a minimum of 6 weeks in advance during high season (October 1 to April 30)
- Allow 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us.
- Pricing includes local taxes
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Prepayment in full once your reservation has been confirmed by TourChoice.com
- Full and final payment must be paid 60 days prior to departure or the booking will be cancelled and the deposit forfeited.
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection.
Single Supplement Fee:
The single supplement fee is the additional amount that a single traveler pays over and above the price per person for groups of 2 or more. This being a private tour makes it very expensive for one person. Please ask us for a quote if you would like to travel solo.
We recommend that you buy your own personal trip cancellation insurance for your own protection. You should also buy insurance coverage appropriate for medical, travel coverage and personal liability which should include travel repatriation.
Cancellation and Refund:
The cancellation fee depends on the day of our written receipt of your cancellation. Email is best Phone calls will not be accepted.
• 30 to 15 days before arrival date - Refund less 30% of tour price
• 14 to 7 days before arrival date - Refund less 50% of tour price
• 6 to 1 days before arrival date or on arrival - forfeit 100% of tour price
• no show and cancellation on day of departure - forfeit 100% of tour price
Changes to Tour:
The tour operator or tour guide may have to make changes to the services or the itineray as a result of such variables as weather conditions, political situations, road conditions and other unforseen circumstances.
Ask about Northern Laos, A Hidden Paradise