Thailand's Historic River Kwai Cruise
Resembling the elegant colonial era cruise ships of the late 19th century, this is truly a Thailand tour specialty! Accommodating up to 20 visitors (often less) in comfort and style, the River Kwai cruise, 4 days / 3 nights operates on a Join-In basis. With crew service onboard, you can relax and enjoy the food, beverages and service as you take in the historical and cultural sights each day along the river!
With 10 teakwood, air-conditioned staterooms, each with its own private bath, an excursion onboard RV River Kwai is more than an adventure. The nicely finished cabins and finery onboard may take you back in time. You can't help but relax and smile as you take in the attractions of Thailand’s Kanchanaburi Province. On-ship dining, the bar and seating areas make the RV River Kwa feel like a floating botique hotel.
Land excursions are offered twice daily allowing you to vsit various attractions along the river. Temples, historic sites, Khmer ruins, waterfalls, war cemeteries, hot springs, and yes, the bridge on the River Kwai are all on the itinerary.
Its best to cruise on the RV River Kwai between October to May with a minimum of 2 guests needed in your party to guarantee your departure, its easy to book and join-in. Sailings are seldom full and booking in advance is always a good idea! This tour departs on Thursdays.
Check out whats included!
Tour Itinerary & Map (below)
6:00am Depart from Bangkok by van / coach to Kanchanaburi via Nakorn Pathom.
9:00 Short stop to visit the highest Chedi in Thailand called “Phra Pathom Chedi” which is the largest pagoda in Southeast Asia.
10:30am Visit to Khao Noi Cave Temple (Wat Tham Khao Noi) located on the west bank of the river. The monastery was constructed on a hill, decorated in the form of Chinese architecture and cultural art. From the top of the monastery observe the beautiful scenery of Kanchanaburi and its mountainous horizon.
Also visit to Tiger Cave Temple (Wat Tham Sua) nearby, built in the form of Thai cultural art. The great Buddha image and pagoda placed in the temple are respected by all Buddhists.
11:30am Continue to Kanchanaburi by air conditioned bus.
12:30pm Lunch at Sommai Restaurant
1:30pm Proceed to Hell Fire Pass, a part of the Death Railway cut through the stone mountain. Trails lead to Hin Tok Bridge and Konyu Cutting where a plaque commemorates the ordeal Allied POW's who undertook the hazardous work in precarious conditions at the aptly named pass. The memorial complex (Hin Lek Fai) is intended to honor the Allied Prisoners of War and conscripted people from India, Burma, Malaysia and other countries who died during construction of the railway, as well as all who suffered as a consequence of the hardships.
4:00pm Embark RV River Kwai at Daowadung Bridge and cruise downstream on Kwai Noi River.
7:30pm Dinner and overnight on board at Sai Yok Yai Waterfalls.
8:00am Breakfast on board while cruising downriver.
8:30am Visit a boarding school nearby the bank of Kwai Noi River built under the patronage of H.R.H. Crown Princess Sirindhorn for refugee children.
9:45am Continue by coach to visit Hin Dad Hot Spring, formerly called Kui Mang. It was accidentally discovered by Japanese soldiers who were supervising the construction of the Death Railway. The natural hot spring features two large pools and private baths. The mineral in the spring is believed to cure many diseases, e.g. beriberi (lack of vitamin B), arthritis, etc.
10:30am Visit to Pha Tad Waterfall located in the western zone of Si Nakharin Dam National Park. It originates from a small stream called Huai Kui Mang. Pha Tad is one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Kanchanaburi Province and flows into the Kwai Noi River.
11:30am Board RV River Kwai at Kaeng Pa Lorm. (Optional: Asian Trails Elephant Driving Licence - Extra: Baht 1900.- per person)
12:00pm Basic information on elephants. Elephant lecture part 1
12:30pm Coffee break
12:40pm Lecture part 2
1:30pm Lunch on board while cruising downriver to the Floatel Jungle Raft.
3:00pm River rafting or canoeing downstream on Kwai Noi River. If time allows, visit nearby Mon Village. (Optional: Enjoy one hour Thai traditional massage Extra: Baht 500.- per person)
7:30pm Dinner and overnight on board near the Resotel.(Optional: Enjoy 45 minutes Mon dances performance Extra: Baht 180.- per person)
8:00am Breakfast on board while cruising downriver.
9:00-9:30am Exam on theory for Elephant Driving Licence if you took this option. If not, sit back, relax, have coffee and enjoy the scenery.
10:15 Short visit at Sai Yok Elephant village located right on the river bank. (Optional: Enjoy half an hour elephant riding through the jungle and along the River Kwai Noi – Extra: Baht 300.- per person) Training and practical exam for Elephant Driving Licence
11:45 Lunch on board while cruising downriver to Wang Pho Bridge.
1:00pm Board the coach to visit the Krasae Cave situated on the bank of the Kwai Noi River, an excellent view point. The cavern houses a Buddha image.
1:30pm Take a 3rd class train to Tha Kilen Train Station passing over the long wooden viaduct.
1:50pm Arrive Tha Kilen and continue by coach to "Prasat Muang Singh", historical park with Khmer architecture from the late Lopburi period, some 700-800 years ago. The extensive ruins of the temple beside the River Kwai Noi are a potent reminder of the vast expanse of the Khmer empire. The ancient border town of Muang Singh, "City of the Lions", was probably established as a trading post.
3:00pm Return to the RV River Kwai at Prasat Muang Singh and cruise downstream. Afternoon at leisure on the boat.
7:00pmFarewell Dinner” and overnight on board, near Ban Kao.
8:00am Breakfast on board while cruising downstream to Wat Tham Khaopoon.
9:00am Visit to Wat Tham Khaopoon, a Buddhist temple which served as a big camp of World War II. There is a middle cave containing stalactites and stalagmites and many remarkable Buddha images. Behind the temple enjoy a marvelous view down the valley of the Kwai Noi River.
9:30am Continue by coach to Kanchanaburi to visit the world-famous bridge over the River Kwai. The sturdy Iron Bridge spanning the River Kwai Yai, which was a crucial part of the Death Railway, was built in some 16 months by Allied prisoners of war and Asian conscripts. The bridge was destroyed in Allied bombing raids towards the end of World War II and was later rebuilt by the Japanese as war reparations. Continue to the Thailand-Burma Railway Center Museum, an interactive museum which provides a remarkable research and information centre dedicated to presenting the story of the Thailand-Burma Railway.
Finally, visit to the Donrak War Cemetery which contains the remains of 6,982 Allied prisoners of war who perished during the construction of the "Death Railway".
12:30pm Rejoin RV River Kwai at Saphan Mai and lunch on board while cruising towards Nong Ya dock.
3:00pm Disembark RV River Kwai at Nong Ya dock and return to Bangkok by coach.
6:00pm Arrive safely in Bangkok and transfer to your hotel in Bangkok downtown
Good to Know
An Exciting New Option:
Over the course of your 4 day river cruise, some guests may wish to obtain a “RV River Kwai Elephant Driving Licence”. For those who do, the cost is an additional 1,900 THB (less than $60USD). Please read the following.
- Attend a basic lecture of information on elephants will be given on the cruise followed by exam.
- Then proceed to Elephant Camp to study how to sit, ride, feed and take care of elephant.
- Feel the spirit and become a Mahout.
- If you decide to book our optional “RV River Kwai Elephant Driving Licence”, please bring with you 1 photo of a size 2.5 cm x 2.5 cm.
- The booking for your Elephant Drivers license can be made through TravelThailandToday.com. Just enter your request in our Notes/Special Request field before you submit your booking request to us. Or, you may make this booking during the tour directly with the Cruise Manager.
- The actual “RV River Kwai Elephant Driving Licence” will be issued in Bangkok and delivered to you after the RV River Kwai Cruise.
In the case of water levels being too high or low or defects to the vessel beyond the control of the shipping line an alternative itinerary will be offered to passengers after consultation between the ship’s captain and management, subject to accommodation and meals being maintained on board the vessel unless by prior agreement with the Charterer. The ship’s purser and captain are jointly responsible for passengers’ comfort and safety.
The crew do everything in their power to facilitate landings, access to the ship at certain river stations can be steep or slippery. Any one of the 11 crew members are pleased to assist.
Clients should seek advice from their doctor regarding relevant inoculations for travel in Thailand. Clients must be fully insured to cover any risk of medical repatriation and Tourchoice.com and Cruise Asia Ltd. are in no way responsible for such liabilities or costs.
Terms & Conditions
Booking the Tour:
- Price in USD, based on a minimum 2 persons per booking or single supplement fee applies to solo traveler
- Allow up to 24 hours for TourChoice.com to confirm your booking after you submit your request to us
- Pricing is per person
- Inclusive of all local taxes including the VAT rate of 10%.
- We accept secure payments by Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal
- TourChoice does not receive any customer sensitive data from credit card processing companies
- Booking 31 to 60 days in advance requires 50% deposit once your reservation has been confirmed
- Booking 61 days or more in advance requires a 25% deposit once your reservation has been confirmed
- Full and final balances to be paid in full 30 days prior to tour departure date
- Suggest booking a minimum of 3 months in advance for high season (November 1 to March 31)
- Please read about TourChoice.com's unique consumer protection.
- A booking voucher & invoice will be emailed to you immediately upon confirmation of your reservation.
Single Supplement Fee:
The single supplement fee is the supplemental amount that a single traveler pays over and above the price per person fee for occupying a whole cabin.
Refund / Cancellation Policy:
- Cancelling More than 60 days prior to departure – NO cancellation fee
- Cancelling between 60 and 31 days prior to departure – 20% of contract rate
- Cancelling between 30 and 21 days prior to departure – 50% of contract rate
- Cancelling 20 days prior to departure day and no show – 100% of contract rate
Late Arrival or Loss:
In the event of a guest arriving late, the ship is not obliged to delay departure thereby upsetting tight schedules. The company accepts no liability or responsibility for loss or damage to passenger’s property whilst on board the vessel. Each cabin has a mini safe.
Children of 4 years and older must solely occupy a berth and pay the full rate (same as adults). Infants below the age of 4 years may sleep in their parent’s cabin without extra charge but parents are to provide own baby food. Availability of a cot cannot be guaranteed.
Should fuel prices suddenly rise by more than 10% Cruise Operator may impose a fuel supplement equivalent to the amount by which the fuel price exceeds the price allowed for in the contract.
No pets allowed on board
The RV River Kwai Vessel is an inland water class river cruiser with the following specifications:
- Length 120ft / 36m
- Beam 25ft / 7.6m
- Draft 3ft / 90cm Air Draft 11.5ft / 3.5m
- Tonnage 155.69 tons
- Engines 2 x 200 hp Hino engines with inboard propulsion; propellers have 4 blades, 3ft diameter
- Speed 8 knots cruising Power 1 x 75kva Caterpillar (recon) genset, 1 x 20 kva port/emergency genset, shore lines to bases on river
- Cabins 10 deluxe staterooms of 3m x 4m with own shower, water closet, air-conditioned, mini safes.
- Public Upper deck is open plan with dining, bar and seating areas covered by a collapsible frame awning to enable vessel to pass under low bridges
- Water Water tanks
- Sewage Holding tanks to pump out to on shore sceptic facility
- Comms Thai GSM cellular, FM Radios, PA system, tannoy
- Safety Smoke detectors in all cabins, emergency lighting and generator, fire extinguishers, pumps and hoses, life jackets for all pax, life rafts, ship’s motorized tugboat Navigation: Ship’s horn, searchlights, Garmin GPS (Global Positioning System)
- Amenities: Fully equipped kitchen, refrigeration units
- Thai crew of 11
Ask about RV River Kwai Cruise